Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring Break 2011 Part 2

     After our busy weekend at PSU, Monday was a regrouping/rest sort of day.  The kids played with the neighborhood kids, I attacked the mountain of laundry that we accumulated and we just grilled hot dogs and burgers Monday evening.  Tuesday Grandma came for a visit.  The plan was to go to Linvilla Orchards and have a picnic.  Kaitlyn was going to the Philly's game with her friend, Erin, so we had to have her back for that.  It turned out to be a crummy rainy day.  We ate our picnic in the car.   Linvilla has been a favorite place of ours since we moved to Delaware County nearly 11 years ago.  We pick fruit there every year (strawberries, blueberries, apples etc).  We have taken many hayrides there.  We celebrated Kaitlyn's 3rd birthday party there (remember, I still get to pick the parties for them before the 4th birthday!).  They have a huge playground that all the kids love.  A maze that I hope the kids forget about each time we go because they always have such a hard time finding their way out.  And their are so many animals too...horses, ostriches, chickens, lambs, pigs etc.  They always have amazing festivals in the Spring, Summer and Fall that we go to as well.  There are 2 huge pools that offer summer memberships.  We belonged to the Hidden Hollow Pool for 3 summers...it's great.  Halloween is their busiest time because they have a huge pumpkin land attraction.    When I had to choose a dentist, I chose mine because his office overlooked  Linvilla's orchards.  Jason and Zac have even gone fishing at the stocked pond behind the blueberry bushes.  It is just an amazing place.  It used to consist of a huge octagonal barn that was built in the late 1800's.  While we were at the beach in the summer of 2002, they had a terrible fire and it burnt to the ground.  It was never restored and it's shell is still there.  They built 2 new buildings, but they aren't quite as charming as the old barn.  This past Tuesday was a chilly rainy day so we just got to go into the buildings and see a few animals.  There were two newborn lambs and lots of adorable baby chicks.  I threaten Jason every year that one of these days I'm going to bring home a chick.  Not a chicken chic, but a duck chick.  That's all I want! 

     We were happy to see the Easter Bunny hanging out in the new Gardening building.  I only got Grayson to sit on his lap.  Brayden wouldn't even take a picture with Donald Duck in Disney, there was no way he was going near the Easter Bunny. 


     After Linvilla, I quickly got Kaitlyn to Erin's house so she could go to the Philly's game.  We were all a little jealous that she got to go.  The Philly's played the Brewer's and it was the 2nd game in a 3 game series.  They had nosebleed seats and the Philly's lost terribly 9-0.  But she did get to eat at Chickey and Petes and hang out with a good friend so all was not lost! 
     We had macaroni and cheese and a spiral ham for dinner with my Mom that evening (something tells me Kaitlyn was eating a little better at Chicky and Petes!).  My Mom made the mac and cheese and it was my favorite recipe when I was little (minus the stewed tomatoes, we don't think she ever put those in their when we were growing up). 
Grandma and Gray

     Wednesday was such a Spring Break kind of day.  The temps hit a balmy 83 and we had such a fun filled day.  Zac and Brayden went to the O'Donoghues to "Paint the Shed".  Garnet Valley High School has an annual tradition in which each August the incoming Seniors paint the shack.  Our colors are Garnet and White and they alternate them each year when they paint.  So one year the shack is painted white and the seniors all write their names in Garnet.  Well Kristin got the brilliant idea to have a shed painting party with the kids friends.  The shed is in the pool yard and was in desperate need of a good painting.  The kids painted it white and then did their hand prints on the side in various colors.  They then wrote their names in their prints with sharpie markers. 


Shane

Brayden

Zac
     While the shed painting was going on, Kaitlyn, Gray and I headed to lunch and shopping.  We went to Ruby's Diner for lunch.  The food isn't great but the atmosphere is so fun.  The kids love it there.  Brayden has always referred to it as his "Ketchup Place".  Kaitlyn got a burger and a shake, Gray got some chicken fingers and I got the chili.  Like I said, the food doesn't hit the spot but you just feel happy when you are there.
Kaitlyn

Wow, the trains were actually working!

Gray
     After lunch we headed to the Exton mall and got lots of goodies.  We then picked up Brayden and Zac from the O'Donoghues, Kaitlyn painted her hand print and we headed home.  That evening, Shane and Patrick O'Donoghue came to sleep over.  It was a rowdy bunch of boys so I was glad for the beautiful weather so that they could be outside.  Jason led the party by grilling and then making a fire.  He helped the boys make Smores and they had a great warm spring night.  The boys (and Jason) then watched Tron and fell asleep in the family room. 
Shane, Zac, Patrick and Brayden
     Today (Thursday), I had "My Lindsay" over to help me with the kids.  Lindsay is Kevin and Kristin O'Donoghue's niece and she started babysitting for me last summer.  She is amazing with the kids and just helps me get things done.  I always call her "My Lindsay".  When I need Kaitlyn to help me out some days, I will ask her to be "My Lindsay".  If I had a little sister I would want her to be Lindsay.  Have I said enough about her?   She is just amazing and everyone should be so lucky to have a Lindsay in their lives.  She informed me today that I might get her once a week this summer.  I'm so excited!  Not only does she help me get things done, I really enjoy talking to her as well.  Gray had a great time with her today.  Brayden pretty much napped the whole time she was here, Zac was over at the O'Donoghues....again... and Kaitlyn was playing with Cameron, a neighborhood friend.
Gray and Lindsay
     So there you have it, part 2 of our Spring Break 2011.  We still have lots in store for the last leg of this vacation.  Tomorrow will be the egg painting event (please let me have the strength to just let go and let them do what they want with their eggs!), and then we are off to York on Sat. and Leesburg on Sun.  The kids all have off again on Monday and then they are all back to school on Tuesday.  So far it has been an amazing Spring Break!  

No comments:

Post a Comment