Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"What's for Dinner???"

     I've been trying to remove some pounds lately so I've been looking for healthier weekday dinners.   I don't mess with the weekends, they are all about enjoyment and we usually grill one night and then have a good family meal on Sunday (usually Italian and it wouldn't be right to lighten that up!).  This Monday I made Spicy Turkey Burgers.  My family loves buffalo wings so this recipe gives us this sought after flavor but in a healthier way. 

Spicy Turkey Burgers
1 lb ground turkey
2 gloves crushed garlic
3 TBSP plain dried bread crumbs
4 TBSP mild wing sauce (I use a very mild sauce because of the kids, if it were just Jason and I, Red Hot sauce would be used)

Mild wing sauce for kids taste buds!
salt and pepper                                                                    
Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing
Hamburger Rolls
Lettuce and Tomato (optional)

     Mix the turkey, garlic, bread crumbs, wing sauce and salt and pepper very well in a bowl.  Shape into 4 burgers (yes I have to double this recipe as well so I have 8 burgers).  Grill (I used an indoor grill pan because it was a cold rainy day) about 5 minutes on each side until turkey is cooked through.  Remove from pan and serve on buns with either blue cheese or ranch dressing drizzled on top.  Top with lettuce and tomato if you so desire.  I served this with a salad and baked french fries.

     Last night I made Chicken Fried Rice.  This was my adaptation of about 3 different recipes for fried rice.  Here's what I did...
Chicken Fried Rice
1TBSP Pure Sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
12 oz chicken breast, cut up into bite sized pieces
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 C shredded carrots
2 Large eggs (beat in a separate bowl)
3 C cooked rice
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP teriyake
About a teaspoon of ginger
     Put Oil in a pan and cook garlic cloves for about a minute.  Next cook chicken until just about cooked through.  Add the scallions and carrots.  Push the mixture to the side of the pan and cook the eggs, scramble them and then mix them into the chicken mixture.  Add the rice, soy sauce, teriyake and ginger.  Stir together well and cook for an additional 5 minutes. 
     I served this with vegetable egg rolls that I bought from Market Day.  They come with a sweet and sour sauce to dip them in and the kids love them.  Poor Jason, all the guy wants are peas.  I have them in the freezer and you could put a cup of peas into this as well but I just can't bring myself to their level.  I despise peas.  I guess I should grin and bear it for my husband, but I'm just not that good of a person.  Peas bring me down.  I love vegetables, most vegetables, but not peas.  So once again, Jason went without peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment